The faculty mentor is expected to provide the primary source of support for a NGP graduate student. At least two years of funding is to be established by the faculty mentor at the time a student is accepted into the lab. Information is provided below on when support begins, how to hire a student into your lab, and how much it costs to train a NGP student.
Students are paid by the NGP during their first year in the program. Mentors assume financial responsibility of the student starting in mid-August of the student's second year (unless the student is supported by a multi-year fellowship). Financial support by the mentor will continue until the student:
- graduates with their doctoral degree
- receives funding from an alternative source (i.e. fellowship or training grant)
- withdraws from the lab and/or program
Students will officially select a mentor after completing their laboratory rotations. Selection of a mentor usually occurs at the end of spring semester during the first year in the program but may be earlier or later.
- As soon as it is agreed that the student will join your lab, inform the NGP Administrator via email at email@example.com.
- Mentors will begin to financially support students in mid-August of their second year unless a student is supported by a multi-year fellowship.
- Hire the student in Workday
- Information about the hiring process will be sent to you in July via email from the NGP Administrator.
- Complete the hiring process by August 1.
If your NGP student is pre-candidacy expect to pay the amounts listed in the table below for the 2021-2022 Academic Year:
If your NGP student is post-candidacy expect to pay the amounts listed in the table below for the 2021-2022 Academic Year:
Note: The non-resident surcharge applies to international students and domestic students that have not applied for Ohio residency for tuition purposes. Note: Students may apply for Ohio residency for tuition purposes. Information about eligibility and applying may be found at: https://registrar.osu.edu/Residency/index.html.